Alcoholism also known as alcohol dependence and alcohol use disorder. Alcoholism occurs when one drinks so much that the body eventually becomes dependent on or addicted to alcohol. When this happens, alcohol becomes the most important thing in their life.
People with alcohol dependence will continue to drink even when drinking causes negative effects, like losing a job. Though they know the negative consequences they cannot abstain from alcohol.
Some people may drink alcohol to the point that it causes problems, but they’re not physically dependent on alcohol. This is sometimes referred to as alcohol abuse.
Causes of alcoholism:
Cause of alcoholism is still unknown. Alcohol dependency develops when one drinks so much that chemical changes in the brain occur. This increases the pleasurable feelings one gets when one drinks alcohol, which makes one want to drink more often, even if it causes harm. Eventually, just like other drugs of abuse, the pleasurable feelings associated with alcohol use go away and person with alcohol dependency will engage in drinking to prevent withdrawal symptoms, which can be quite unpleasant and even dangerous. Alcoholism typically develops gradually over time, and is also known to run in families.
Although the exact cause is unknown there are certain risk factors that increase for developing this disease. These are as follows:
1. More than 15 drinks per week in a male.
2. More than 12 drinks per week in a female.
3. More than five drinks per day at least once a week (binge drinking).
4. A parent with alcoholism.
5. A mental health problems like depression, anxiety, or schizophrenia.
6. There is greater risk for alcoholism in a young adult experiencing peer pressure.
7. One having low self-esteem.
8. One experiencing a high level of stress.
9. Living in a family or culture where alcohol use is common and accepted, having a close relative with alcohol use disorder.
Symptoms of alcoholism are based on the behaviors and physical outcomes due to alcohol addiction.
Following behaviors are seen in people engaged in alcohol abuse:
1. drinking alone
2. drinking more to feel the effects of alcohol (having a high tolerance)
3. becoming violent or angry when asked about their drinking habits
4. not eating or eating poorly
5. neglecting personal hygiene
6. missing work or school because of drinking
7. being unable to control alcohol intake
8. making excuses to drink
9. continuing to drink even when legal, social, or economic problems develop
10. giving up important social, occupational, or recreational activities
Physical symptoms seen in people with alcohol abuse:
1. alcohol cravings
2. withdrawal symptoms when not drinking, including shaking, nausea, and vomiting
3. tremors (involuntary shaking) the morning after drinking
4. lapses in memory (blacking out) after a night of drinking
5. Illnesses, like cirrhosis of liver.
Treatment involves counseling detoxification program in a hospital or medical facility is an option for those who need additional assistance. Medications are available that reduce the desire to drink.
Alcoholism is a global problem with approximately 5-10% of the world's population demonstrating alcohol related diseases
Avena Sativa: weak and nervous alcoholics; sleeplessness of alcoholics.
Nux Vomica: irritable and nervous alcoholics having a craving for stimulants.
Quercus: chronic alcoholics whose breath in foul and eyes yellow; antidotes the effects of alcohol.
Sulphuricum Acidum: craving for alcohol; water causes coldness of stomach, must be mixed with liquors.
Rxhomeo COMBO # 15 - Alcoholism: A homeopathic combination pack with two single remedies Quercus Glandium Spiritus and Nux Vomica for relief of symptoms associated with alcoholism.
Quercus Glandium Spiritus: Quercus Glandium Spiritus facilitates the treatment of alcoholism. It antidotes all the bad effects of alcohol. It also helps in taking away the craving for alcohol. Quercus Glandium Spiritus also helps in abdominal pain in splenic region due to old malaria or spleen disorders and having alcoholic history. There is much flatulence with pain in old malarial cases. Spleen is enlarged and painful. Pain in hypochondria due to liver affections causing dropsy. Quercus Glandium Spiritus also helps in dyspepsia, nervous headache and bad breath due to alcohol.
Nux Vomica: Nux Vomica is also a suitable remedy for headache as a result of bad effects of so called modern living, tobacco, alcohol etc. There is a sensation as if head would burst with congestion, heaviness and pressure. Headache is of gastric origin. Headache worse in the morning, by loss of sleep, touch and noise and is better by vomiting, lying down in a dark room.
|AVENA SATIVA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||2006952||8907460069528|
|NUX VOMICA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||2031752||8907460317520|
|QUERCUS GLANDIUM SPIRITUS 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||2036252||8907460362520|
|SULPHURICUM ACIDUM 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||2042252||8907460422521|
|Rxhomeo COMBO # 15 - Alcoholism||2246500||8907460759009|
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
There are no entries.